Super Deluxe | Read more... | Watch movie

Tentacles VS Humans Game #2


Takimaru

Tentacle God
Moderator
Apr 22, 2010
1,493
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

"Fair enough," Laura concluded. She thought about some of the potential distrust building up between team members, and of those who may have been acting suspiciously as of late. Of Mina, Lulu, Maria... and of Faye. She hated the thought of having the crew suspect one other in the shadows--or worse, for a mutiny of sorts to occur--and figured that now would be the time to do such a test, while the possible consequences of failure were still fresh in everyone's mind.

~~~~~
Selected Team for Encounter:
Laura
Lulu
Veronica
Maria
Riley
Halley
Aoru
Reiko

Selected Team for Tasks:
Satellite Array - Mina
(If any crew members have objections, feel free to notify me. If I recall correctly, Mina doesn't need to be in the Encounter Team to have her card revealed, does she? If she does, I'll swap her out for Aoru)
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

(apologies for the lull. My bad. Going to advance this game now with the rolls...)

Satellite Task Rolls: 2, 5 (no success)

0/5 successes achieved.


******************

Blood Test Encounter Rolls: 3, 5, 3, 6, 5, 1, 1 (3 successes)

3/9 successes achieved.
 

Tassadar

Panda King
Moderator
Nov 10, 2008
16,036
83
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

(Hrm. Do we want to win this encounter? There are two exposed NPCs right now, and finding their status might be good, but we rolled pretty bad. Ahhh, to hell with it.)

"I'll go first, Reiko. And I'll help watch while everyone else does the test as well." Veronica says, drawing a shotgun from her back and activating the flamethrower mount on the bottom of it once everyone was in the med lab. "Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and none of the rest of us will be infected. Last time was too close for comfort."



Playing:
"Whoa! That was close!" : 2 auto succusses, needs Lucky.
Shotgun : Roll 3d6
 
Dec 14, 2008
7,435
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Discarding:

"We'd better seal off the lower levels." : Prevent the Alien from rolling on the Alien Ship this turn.

For 2d6.
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Rolling five dice for the two cards.

Veronica's Shotgun: 5, 2, 4 (2 successes)

Lulu discard (which we'll assume is her getting the blood test sorted): 4, 5 (2 successes)

Encounter is at 9/9 successes. Toxicshock, any response?
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Alien player chooses not to respond. The Blood Test is successful!

************

The benches in the lab were set upright and the crew members were sat down on them. Veronica and Laura were directed by Reiko to extend their hands, on which she then made a small incision to release some of their blood into different petri dishes, which Reiko had labeled with their names.

"Okay now you two back up against those corners." The scientist pointed into two different corners of the room and then Liz and Halley each pointed their guns at them. Nodding, Reiko then used a bunsun burner to heat the blood. There was no reaction.

"Okay, you two are safe. Now me."
Reiko took a clean scalpel and nicked herself, spilling her blood into a dish. She then handed it to Laura while Veronica began to secure the other unknown crew members to the benches with rope.

Reiko was soon cleared, as were many of the crew, until at last there was only Lulu, Maria, and Mina left.

"We'll do Lulu last. Mina and Maria are next." said Reiko.

*******************************

(The PCs can reveal one or both of Mina and Maria, but you won't be able to reveal Lulu's exposure card. Which order would you like to reveal the exposed NPCs?)
 
Dec 14, 2008
7,435
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

((Mina first!))
 

Takimaru

Tentacle God
Moderator
Apr 22, 2010
1,493
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Laura swallowed, trying her best to hide the anxiety that lurked within. With everyone 'on trial', so to speak, hopefully the test would ease some existing worries... but on the other hand, the possibility of losing another crew member--or more--was no less disturbing. Of course she wanted to know, but the truth wasn't necessarily a pleasant thing in this situation. The best case scenario would be that no one was infected, but given the strange state of things on the ship, that was hardly likely. In light of all their recent losses, the captain didn't want to play favorites, and couldn't afford to at this rate.

~~~~~
(Mina first)
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Mina nervously took her spot in the corner, the nozzles of all the guns pointed at her petite figure. Her hand clutched nervously at her other arm, as they held the burst of flame to the dish above her blood. The blood didn't react. The communications officer let out a low sigh of relief.

(Mina is human, exposure card removed)

Next up was Maria, who crossed her arms and stood in the corner, all eyes fixed on her. Off in the distance there was a sudden howl - deeper and louder than anything they had heard before.

"What was that?"
Riley breathed, sharing a concerned look with Halley.

"Whatever it is, it sounds like it's coming this way," Reiko said. "We've got to hurry up."

Maria's blood was dripped into a dish and then put under the flame. As this was happening, Halley peeked out into the corridor and her eyes went wide. "We have to go!" She shouted.

"Not yet!" Reiko said, brushing the flame against Maria's blood.

Nothing happened.

"Told you," grunted the cargomaster as she stepped out of the corner.

(Maria is human, exposure card removed.)

"We gotta go now! Run!" Halley said and then started firing down the hallway. With a concerned look at the untested Lulu, the others decided to follow Halley's advice, bolting out of the lab just in time to see a wave of small alien crawlers cascading down the hallway. Halley and Riley did their best to provide cover fire, causing many of the little alien face huggers to explode into chunks of flesh and white gooey liquid. But it was obvious there were too many of them.

***********************

Encounter succeeds. All NPCs have been cleared. Final event for ACT 2 occurs:

Someone Goes Berserk -- The Captain chooses an NPC and then draws 2 random destruction cards.
--She chooses and reveals one card, destroying the corresponding task.
--The chosen NPC is put in the Brig and not included in the game until the final confrontation, but they may still receive an Exposure card.

For story purposes, this event will be changed to represent the alien presence knocking out the communications paneling on the Muse for good, destroying the last available task. They will also knock out one NPC who will not be able to wake up until the Final Battle. Takimaru, please choose one NPC to be knocked out.
 

Takimaru

Tentacle God
Moderator
Apr 22, 2010
1,493
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Laura felt a short swell of relief at the completion of the first and second tests, despite the panic that had broken out midway through. She was almost in disbelief at how well that went, as she was anxiously indexing her sidearm for a good chunk of the ordeal.

~~~~~

(I choose Mina)
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

The crew hurried down the corridor, firing over their shoulders at the oncoming horde of crawlers who lashed tentacle-like tongues out of their mouths.

"We'll bar the door at Bridge!"
Maria yelled as the first of them made it through the doorway. "C'mon, Riley, Halley, Mina, hurry up!"

"Oh shi-!" The tiny Mina lost her footing at the final intersection and tripped. Seeing a tentacle creature flinging itself through the air at her, she rolled sideways into a storage closet, getting covering fire from Riley and Halley.

"Go on without me! I'll lock myself inside!" She shouted, closing the closet door tight.

Seeing no alternative of going back to help her, Riley and Halley retreated through the door to the bridge and it was sealed off behind them.

"Great," Riley muttered, "Now who is gonna know how to get an emergency signal out?"

"No one," Aoru said ominously, pointing to the communications panel, whose wiring had been entirely demolished. She stepped closer to the other panels and checked the system. "Lulu, this is strange, they've disabled the recording devices in the rear cargo bay and the air lock... Think you can patch into the ship's memory and recover the data? They obviously are intelligent enough to understand the ship's systems, and they've selectively tried to hide these areas from our view."

***
ACT III, first encounter:

Destroy Alien Ship -- All Players draw one card.
--Crew: 1-4
--Skills: Mechanic, Tough, and Lucky
--Target: 3+
--Successes: 2p=4, 3p=6, 4p=8
--Success: Remove Alien Ship task permanently from play.
--Fail: The Alien player may roll twice this turn for the Alien Ship.

(To be clear, because there are no dice on the Alien Ship card, this means that there are no negative effects from failing this encounter.)
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

During card drawing, two play immediately cards are drawn:

Nervous Breakdown (Taki chooses Riley to no longer be able to be assigned to Encounters)

And New Captain - the Alien Player may choose a new PC to be Captain. (Toxic, got anyone in mind?)
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

The crew waited for a bit as Lulu scanned the Muse's area recording logs up until the point the viewing had been disabled. The little cyborg gasped audibly, her eyes widening.

"What is it?" asked Maria. The statuesque cargo master had been looking to get her mind off of Riley, who was huddling in a corner with her friend Halley by her side. Riley had reached her tipping point when that wave of aliens had threatened to swarm them. She'd emptied her clip on full auto and was still pulling the trigger, seeing that swarm play out in her mind, mumbling about how hopeless these things were. Reiko had suggested it was something akin to shell shock, but also a symptom of space dementia. Frankly, the biologist had been surprised that the tension of the situation hadn't made more people snap. Certainly everyone still alive could sympathize, this whole scenario was a living nightmare. Still, it was unexpected and disheartening to see a tough girl like Riley be emotionally overcome at a critical time.

In answer to Maria's question, Lulu flipped on the central monitor and patched what she alone had been seeing into the main line, so that the rest of the crew could see it too.

The insides of the Muse in the air lock and most of the cargo bay had become unrecognizable. It was as if it were an alien landscape now. Every surface was covered in a red, fleshy, bio-organic substance that was pulsing like a living organism. It was a nest. In the air lock station, they saw a group of alien crawlers that seemed to have evolved tool wielding appendages, using welding torches on spare panels that had been ripped from the Muse' systems.

"They're cannibalizing the ship to build something, but what is it?" Maria said.

"There's a life support system," Observed Aoru, adjusting her glasses and squinting at the scene. For such a shy girl, she had really been maintaining herself well in the past few hours. "I'm guessing they're attempting to build some kind of space pod."

"It wants to spread,"
Reiko said ominously. "It's not certain it'll win out against us, so it's hedging its bets. Eventually it'll be able to send one of its biomasses in that pod and point it in any direction in space. Likely in the direction of Earth - it has the coordinates from our ship's log after all, and we can assume if it had time to delete our recording ability, it had time to check for directions."

Maria sniffed derisively. "Those things have barely begun to put that pod together. It'll take them a while to finish it. I say we don't worry about it and head for the center of the nest. It's gotta be replicating somehow that isn't showing on these screens. Otherwise how would all of those crawlers have appeared?"

Halley stood up after having consoled Riley as much as she could and stepped over to the rest of the group. "That swarm is still outside the upper level doorway, so if we're going to avoid that, the only way back to the cargo bay is through the lower levels and through the air lock. I don't trust that red stuff on the floor, so I suggest we take the emergency space walk suits and put them on before we head out there."

This idea gets approval, and everyone except for Riley begins to suit up. Soon enough everyone is dressed in the Muse's space suits, which in many places are skin tight, allowing for greater ease of movement. The only heavy metalic parts are the boots and gloves, which have a magnetizer to help attach to the ship for those dangerous space walks, and a life support pack that also has an inbuilt propulsion system just in case a crew member does end up floating off into space.

"The cargo bay was so unrecognizable... and those pictures were from two hours ago - this thing is spreading so fast, it'll be like a whole new tunnel system back there," Maria said. "Lulu, you're gonna have to guide us with that internal layout you've got stored in that head of yours. So tell us, how're we gonna do this?"

Meanwhile, Reiko sat down heavily and held a hand to her helmet.

"Are you okay, Reiko?" Aoru asked her scientist colleague with concern in her eyes.

"I'm fine... I just feel a little sick to my stomach. I think this situation is starting to get to me a little. But don't worry, I can still fight if necessary." Reiko answered.

*******************
-Riley has had a Nervous Breakdown and cannot be assigned to Encounters for the rest of the game. (she can still be infected and used as a tentacle monster, this is merely a penalty to the Humans)

-Lulu has been selected by the Alien Player to be the new captain. Shrike, please suggest a who will be assigned to the current encounter when the time comes.

*******************
Reiko has been EXPOSED.

Alien player puts an exposure card underneath Reiko. PCs may play cards now.
 
Dec 14, 2008
7,435
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

(Before I forget. Again.)

"The truth is in the blood." : Conduct an immediate Blood Test on one Exposed NPC. If Human, that NPc's status become Safe. If a Tentacle Monster, begin a Tentacle Attack.
 

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
Moderator
Aug 12, 2010
7,068
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Perhaps Lulu sensed that something was amiss because as Reiko tried to do her best to stop coughing and shaking, the little cyborg eyed the scientist carefully.

"What happened to that scratch along your neck?"
she asked, quietly, but still loud enough for the rest of the room to hear during the lull in any other conversation.

"What are you talking about?" Reiko answered, coughing again.

"The scratch... you had a long scratch down your neck from earlier, when we had a fight in the lab against Marlisse's attacker. Some shattered glass clipped your neck then, I saw it. Except the wound isn't there now."

"I honestly have *cough* no idea what you're talking about," Reiko said. "I don't recall getting cut."

"No, of course you wouldn't. I think we should take another blood test. On Reiko."


"Oh? That reminds me, we haven't gotten around to you ye-- ouch!"

Lulu pricked Reiko's ear with her knife sending drops of blood to the floor.

"Are you crazy! You overgrown toaster oven!" Reiko said in a fit of anger, holding her bleeding ear.

Ignoring her, Lulu took out an attachment from her cyborg legs - a field taser, and pointed it at the red pool.

"The truth is in the blood," she said, and then pressed the tazer. The blood sizzled and then turned milky white, emitting a high pitched squeal.

As eyes around the room shifted from anger to horror, they all turned to fall on Reiko, who was now shuddering violently, the fabric of her skin tight space suit now bulging as writhing tentacles struggled to get free of her body.

"Someone get a flamethrower on her! Stand back!" shouted Maria.

**************
Reiko is revealed as a Tentacle Monster.

 
Last edited:

Tassadar

Panda King
Moderator
Nov 10, 2008
16,036
83
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

"Shit...." Veronica muttered to herself as the Lulu clipped Reiko's ear with a knife. Already the were distrusting each other... Though it proved valid as Reiko's blood, when exposed to electricity, jumped and scuttled away. Tentacles started appearing all over her, and the pilot readied herself for another fight.

(Nothing, for now.)
 

Takimaru

Tentacle God
Moderator
Apr 22, 2010
1,493
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

With her plate full of other concerns, between Riley's meltdown and the other recent losses suffered in the last couple of hours, Laura was almost caught off-guard by Reiko's monstrous transformation. But as shocking as this revelation was, she simply couldn't afford to just sit stunned.
"Lulu, get back!"
The blonde-haired woman was standing off to one corner of the room when the commotion began, but jumped into action fairly quickly, grabbing a flamethrower that she had kept nearby and releasing a stream of flames in the direction of the infected biologist.

~~~~~
Playing card:
Flamethrower: Roll 5d6 OR Cancel a Tentacle Attack.
 

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Nov 10, 2008
11,038
113
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

The stream of flames exploded forth from the nozzle before falling almost straight to the ground, the steady "stream" that followed only spanned a few inches worth of distance before dissipating into the air above the gun.

Sputtering Flamethrower: Cancel one play of a Flamethrower card.
 

Takimaru

Tentacle God
Moderator
Apr 22, 2010
1,493
63
Re: Tentacles VS Humans Game #2

Laura cursed under her breath and kept trying, occasionally adjusting the igniter as necessary, even giving it a light whack. That tended to work.

~~~~~
Playing card:
Flamethrower: Roll 5d6 OR Cancel a Tentacle Attack.